Bidspirit auction | UK 1881 Swansea East Dock
UK 1881 Swansea East Dock Opening Commemorative Medal, White Metal A white metal commemorative medal struck for the opening of the Swansea East Dock on 18 October 1881. The obverse features jugate portraits of the Prince and Princess of Wales surrounded by the peripheral legend H.R.H. THE PRINCE OF WALES & H.R.H. THE PRINCESS OF WALES. The reverse depicts the Prince of Wales feathers above a central inscription reading SWANSEA EAST DOCK OPENED BY HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS THE PRINCE OF WALES OCTR 18TH 1881. The surrounding rim legend identifies local officials including J. GWYN JEFFREYS LL.D. F.R.S. CHAIRMAN 1872-1881 and F.A. YEO ESQ. CHAIRMAN OF THE HARBOUR TRUSTEES.